Middle Swan PS has ‘Excellence and Respect’ as its vision statement which is threaded through every part of school life. It is the catch cry teachers refer to when encouraging students to do their best and it is the name of the School Board Awards that are presented at the end of every term.
Middle Swan staff typify Excellence and Respect. They use evidence based research and strategies to enhance their teaching and planning. They collaborate in block teams to better plan and set targets for student improvement and they consider the big picture to focus on the goal of whole school improvement. However more importantly Middle Swan staff establish positive working relationships and rapport with both students and parents to bring about great outcomes.
We have three key foci; vocabulary, mental calculation and student wellbeing. The following programs and strategies are implemented to develop our foci further;
- Letters and Sounds in K- 2, and Words their Way and 3-6 is the whole school focus for spelling
- Talk 4 Writing is a whole school program designed to provide quality and quantity to student vocabulary banks to enable their full writing potential
- First Steps and Paul Swan strategies are a whole school focus for mental strategies
- All staff are skilled in the use of CMS – a highly regarded pedagogy for effective classroom management
- Friendly School’s Pus is a whole school social program to counter issues surrounding bullying
- Changing Gears is a bike program that Year 5 and 6 students have opportunity to participate in each term
- The Bike Track, made by volunteers, is a much sought after lunchtime activity on BMX bikes for Year 3-6
The school community contributes greatly to school activities. Parents are keen to participate in fund raising projects of the P and C and the School Board focusses on supporting staff with school improvement. The Child Parent Centre is an invaluable resource to both the school and wider community in the services and agencies it is able to source. But you only have to see the large number of parents who attend assemblies, three way conferences or graduations to realise the support the school receives from parents and the place of importance in their family’s life. Over and over again we hear how grateful and appreciative parents are with the manner in which the school has cared for and been committed to their child’s education.
Middle Swan is Excellence and Respect.